European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) and the Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance jointly fund up to three meetings per year in India. The meetings should address discovery and innovation through an interdisciplinary approach, with the speakers and participants discussing important global challenges in the context of the life sciences.
The meetings should be small, with 10 – 15 highly acclaimed international speakers and 50 – 75 participants, allowing early to mid career scientists to interact with leading international experts during a period of three days.
Proceedings from the meeting should be drafted as a position paper to advise the India Alliance regarding this area of research. The paper should in particular outline if and how research covered by the meeting could be beneficial to India. India Alliance may consider increasing funding for research in that area following expert advice and review.
The maximum funding available for an India | EMBO Symposia is 60,000 euros.
• EMBO also supports the organizers and meeting in the following ways:
• EMBO creates a dedicated meeting webpage, including registration and abstract submission forms.
• EMBO provides a poster and advertising in selected print and social media channels.
• Organizers can apply for funds for an EMBO Young Investigator lecture, EMBO Science Policy lecture and EMBO Women in Science lecture.
India | EMBO Symposia must take place in India, but scientists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply, independent of their nationality.
India | EMBO Symposia must cover frontier, pioneering and interdisciplinary areas of life sciences that are underserved in India, and include speakers with interdisciplinary expertise. Furthermore, the application should include a list of (mostly) confirmed speakers.
For detailed information on the eligibility criteria, including the format of the meeting, please consult the application guidelines.
Applications for India | EMBO Symposia will be accepted twice in 2017 and must be submitted through the online system. Organizers should apply at least 6-12 months before the proposed date of the meeting.
• The deadlines for applications are 15 February 2017 and 15 July 2017, 14:00 CEST.
• All incoming applications are screened to ensure eligibility requirements are met.
• The decision on which proposals receive funding is jointly made by the EMBO Course Committee and the India Alliance Meetings Committee in May and October.
• All applicants are informed of the outcome of their application by email shortly after the committee meetings.
Applicants will be asked to provide:
• A list of organizers
• Proposed title and topic of the meeting
• Reasons for holding a meeting on the proposed topic
• Information on any competing or similar meetings held in the current, proposed or following year
• Proposed date and location
• List of proposed speakers/instructors
• Draft programme
• Participant selection criteria and number of participants
• Proposal for the position paper
• Information on the practical component of the meeting (if applicable)
• Draft budget
For detailed information on the application process, key dates, format of the meeting and required documentation, please consult the application guidelines.
EMBO and the India Alliance are looking to fund interdisciplinary meetings that cover the latest developments in research areas underserved in India. These are intended to assemble the best experts worldwide. Applications should be timely. Their content should not overlap with other meetings in the same year, and should be as complete as possible. The committees will pay special attention to the following aspects:
The selection process involves the following steps: